Sunday, December 23, 2007

Getting Caught Bluffing at Low Stakes Poker

Get "caught" bluffing and suddenly it will become a lot harder for you to do it successfully, especially in low-stakes games, or with "play money" in online poker rooms. People will tend to call you rather than believe you. That's terrible, isn't it?

Not at all. A reputation as a bluffer allows you to really clean them out when you DO have the winning hand. In fact, when I have the nuts hand, I'll sometimes do everything I can to make it LOOK like I'm bluffing. I'll throw out a huge raise, or go all-in. But only if I' ve been "busted" for bluffing in the very recent past.

The attention span in poker is short, even shorter in online games where the players change every 30 minutes.

Don't think that once you learn to bluff successfully you'll do it all the time. Maybe 20% of your winnings, tops, might come from well bluffed hands. Most of the time you have to have the cards.

No comments: