Sunday, December 23, 2007

Other "How-to-bluff" Resources

What are my qualifications for writing this blog? Well, I'm recognized as one of the low-stakes poker world's top-five bluffers. I was on the cover of PokerStars magazine for a $249,000 bluff I pulled off -- on prime time TV, no less. I'm overall a pretty mediocre poker player, but I've been congratulated for my superb bluffing skills by no less than WSOP bracelet holders Doyle Brunson, Chris Moneymaker, and Daniel Negreanu.

Another bluff. I'm a total hack. PokerStars.com gave me $5 REAL MONEY to try and convince me to move to the cash side of their table, and within 2 days it was gone.

I had it up to $17 at one point. Quite proud of myself.

Then I became CONVINCED a certain other player was bluffing. I saw an opportunity to turn it into $34.

He wasn't, and I didn't.

I did learn some things playing penny poker you won't pick up even at the quarter tables. In that rapid-fire game, people only call when they ACTUALLY HAVE cards. The check-around click sounds like a machine gun at those tables. What I learned is that a lot of the time NOBODY GOT NUTHIN'!

It's also an unusually "ripe" environment for bluffing.

Invest $5 (against my usual advice about "online gaming", and don't use a CC) and go play for real money in the penny poker rooms sometimes. It'll give you a whole new perspective on the game.

By now hopefully I have convinced you you should completely ignore my ramblings and go read what everybody else preaches about bluffing at poker:

Start with:

http://www.wikihow.com/Bluff-in-Poker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluff_(poker)

and

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1003.html

No comments: