Monday, January 28, 2008

Money Management

The players on the "Monopoly Money" tables I play are some of the worst money managers I've ever seen. Part of it, indeed, is the fact it isn't real money.

Part of it is just stupidity.

I found I could increase my winnings at least 10%, maybe 20% , simply by tossing a small to medium sized bluff out on the river every time I found myself here holding a weak hand.

Usually the other guy was too, and when I bet, he folded.

The risk to return or whatever you want to call it on this bluff is simply enormous. Often times your opponent is tired, disappointed his hand didn't improve beyond that one lousy pair and really just wants a good excuse to get it over with and get on to the next hand. Hope springs eternal.

And yet players will do absolutely stupid things with their chips, like getting involved on huge pre-flop raises on the HOPE that they're the one that wins the big pot. Betting on all sorts of "maybes."

Instead of putting a few chips in places where they can do an enormous amount of good.

Maybe you should consider 20% of your stack "bluffing fund." Every time your stack goes up, so does your bluffing fund. When it goes down, you don't dig into your primary.

My Hold'Em strategy has ended up being something like "Enter every unraised pot you can, stay in raised pots only with royalty or a pair of suited cards, and fold immediately if I didn't have top pair or better on the flop. Chase flushes, but never straights. Bluff when the opportunity arises.

And INTELLIGENTLY manage my money! Don't waste it chasing clouds!

Money mangement really isn't a bluffing topic. But I see so many players wasting chips on long shots instead of using them where it can make a difference, I had to say something.

No comments: