Monday, January 28, 2008

The Size of your Bluff

In general, I've found realistic sized bets work far better as bluffs than huge amounts, even though they're easier to call.

They're also a lot less expensive when you DO get called.

But that's not the whole story.

You need to adjust your bluff to the size of the pot. If there's a big fat pot and everyone else seems to have lost momentum at the turn or river, consider the pot in making your bet, and not just what the nominal bets are for a straight, flush, or whatever.

I've stolen some good pots just by throwing out 25% of whatever was there.

One woman player called two of my bluffs in a row. And they were both reasonable sized bets.

So the third time I bluffed her (can you believe my audacity?) when I missed a flush or whatever, I went ALL IN.

I never go all in. Anybody who watches me play knows that.

She folded.

If you always bluff a fixed amount,a fixed percentage, you'll be telegraphing your bluffs. And I've caught players after observing them doing that, they always bluffed 50% of the pot or whatever.

No comments: