Monday, January 28, 2008

My Regulars

When I play online (always for monopoly money) I usually play at a table that has 4 or 5 "regulars" at it. People I've played with dozens of times.

I do this more for social reasons, but it turns out it's very advantageous for betting as well.

I generally know what they regulars are going to do.

Two of the regulars are grinders. If they bet big, I fold. These two seldom if ever bluff. Another will take a chance, but I don't have to immediately fold if she bets.

I only have to worry about the newbies at the table. They're the unpredictable ones. And since I only end up head to head with them one out of five or so hands, I don't have to sweat it as much.

By playing with some regulars at the table I don't have to try and study all 8 players simultaneously and determine who's a bluffer and who isn't. Who slowplays trips. Who'll instantly fold if presented with a whopping re-raise, and who are calling stations.

Usually us "regulars" chew up and spit out a long series of newbies. Either one of the grinders beats them with big cards or me or one of the other bluffers takes their money.

Online, I can always choose to sit down at a table of fish, or newbies. I'm a better player than many. But for the first 30 minutes or so I don't dare call large bets I believe to be bluffs because I don't know anything about these players. Often I'll go in with a short stack so I can call what appears to be a blatent bluff. (And usually, it's not, I'm wrong)

It's a lot of work because without a few regulars in the game, I'm having to study everyone.

No comments: