Sunday, January 20, 2008

Playing at a higher level

Maybe it's self confidence. Maybe it's cocaine. I don't know.

But one time, I had a dose of it myself.

During one brief 45 minute game, every hand I played won.

I'd take a long shot, calling a medium sized bet, and sure enough, I'd hit my straight. And I never complete straights.

So what did I do. I ratcheted up every bet. I raised every blind to at least triple what others would have made it.

It drove out the people with garbage who normally kill you.

If I had a pair, I bet like I had trips.

I scared off a lot of other players who probably had a pair or even a better pair than I had.

When you're winning, not only can you AFFORD to do this, it becomes self-fulfilling.

It was like I was playing with a stack of $500 chips and all anyone else had were $100's.

I won so much other players became terrified of me and folded right and left.

I'd mix in twice as many bluffs as I could normally get away with, and they'd all work.

I don't know HOW you get on this level on a regular basis. I see a few players do it.
They simply play at a higher level than us mere mortals.

Is it years of poker experience, a genetic lack of fear, or drugs, I don't know.

But when it's working, it's amazing.

No comments: